SummaryVersatile design leader building teams with a human-centered purpose through a shared vision. A proven leader in managing teams and effectively working with stakeholders, C-level executives, and partners across the organization to create innovative solutions that bring value to the bottom line.
I love to ask questions, find out how people work, what they are thinking, and their motivations. My favorite accomplishments are usually invisible to most people - things that just make life easier.
I’m actively involved in design communities and mentor design professionals at all stages of their career.
- Design Leadership
- Management & leadership
- Team building
- Remote management
- Product Design strategy
- UX process, strategy, & execution
- Service Design
- Content Strategy
- Creative Direction
- User-Centered Design
- Lean UX Principles
- Design Thinking
- User Research
- Content Design Principles
- Accessible and Universal Design Principles
- Cross functional collaboration
- Agile Methodologies
︎ Take it to go! (View & Download)
Veritone is a leading provider of Artificial Intelligence technology and solutions that transform structured and unstructured data into actionable intelligence.
Director, User Experience • Apr 2020 - Present
Lead experience design for the Media & Entertainment division. Focus on setting UX strategy, design, and execution for enterprise-grade Artificial Intelligence products. Report to VP of Product.
- Built and fostered a creative culture and camaraderie. Recruit, coach, and nurture my growing team in best practices and human-centered methodologies.
- Leverage ideas and business knowledge with stakeholders and partners, defining strategy, roadmaps, and priorities to align with company vision and key experience outcomes.
- Influential throughout the organization as a loyal advocate for our users.
- Introduced UX strategy and user-centered design processes, including a new design system that is now leveraged across all Veritone properties.
- Evolved our user research practice by launching our M+E Champions program with our clients. Conduct user research and utilize data insights to inform design decisions.
- My latest work includes a single sign-on concept that uses biometrics, connecting digital and physical spaces, and reimagining our flagship products into a simple, combined solution while offering new monetization strategies.
Collabera, a staffing firm with a global presence, is the leader in total talent solutions in the U.S., with approximately 17,000 professionals in 60 offices and 11 countries.
Director, Digital Experience • Oct 2017 - Feb 2020
Led experience design across all digital products while defining UX design philosophy, culture, and processes across the company. Reported to Founding Partner/CIO.
- Built a first-class UX organization from two to 10 multilevel direct reports in the first 6 months.
- Managed resources across multiple projects from concept to completion.
- Influential throughout the organization as a loyal advocate for our users, I championed Design Thinking principles at all levels of the company.
- Led redesigns of all proprietary legacy applications to increase efficiency, simplify the design, and introduce consistency throughout the digital experience.
- Reduced time on key tasks greatly: Posting a job to over 200 job boards went from 3 days to 3 minutes; viewing candidate activity reduced to 10 seconds from over 6 minutes; and comparing candidates takes less than 2 minutes rather than over 15 minutes.
CyberCoders is a leading permanent placement recruiting firm. Through innovative technology and efficient recruiters, CyberCoders helps find the right candidate for the right job. Fast.
Director, User Experience • Jun 2014 - Oct 2017
Directed the UX design strategy of websites and applications for On Assignment (ASGN) and managed a team of talented designers. Collaborated daily with product and development. Reported to CTO.
- Recruited, coached, and mentored a team of 3 designers and 2 contractors.
- Introduced Service Design into the product development process which had a direct business impact in both the digital and physical spaces
- Reduced average time on task by 40%
- Decreased onboarding time by 117% with a more streamlined and consistent experience
- Gamification increased engagement online and offline by 60%
- Shifted how business was fundamentally done through smart design, ethical automation, and more oversight.
- Defined UX philosophy and processes
Lead UX Designer & Information Architect • May 2012 - Jun 2014
Defined the UX design practice and mentored the young design team in UX design and research methodologies for the redesigns of CareerBliss.com and CyberCoders.com. Reported to CTO.
- Reimagined CareerBliss.com, resulting in increased engagement 60%, registrations 37%, and applications submitted 26%. I took it from a simple job board aggregator to a more meaningful experience with company reviews, salary data, and candidate/employer culture matching.
Kelley Blue Book
Kelley Blue Book, The Trusted Resource®, provides vehicle valuation and digital marketing solutions that drive results.
Lead Interaction Designer • Mar 2008 - May 2012
Evolved the user experience strategy of the #1 automotive website through a complete redesign which resulted in increased conversion rates by over 30% within the Used Car space.
- Worked closely with the product team to clarify and define goals and roadmap and collaborated daily with partners in visual design, content strategy, user research, development, analytics, and quality assurance.
- Notable achievements: Designed and patented Seller’s Toolkit featuring LiveValueSM. Designed the award-winning Cash 4 Clunker advertising program which created the highest visit count ever in KBB.com history at 650,000 visitors in one day (5% higher than the previous “all-time high”) and generated leads at 15% above goal.
- Assisted the Research Team with in-lab usability tests, user studies, and persona development.
- Created and maintained the first Design System for KBB.com
Designer & Owner • Jul 2003 - Mar 2008
Foursquare Studios was my design firm with clients that included Tickets.com, Autobytel.com, SecuredFunding, Bride.com, start-ups, and mid-sized businesses and serviced the automotive, mortgage, healthcare, financial, construction, and entertainment industries.
- Grew my business by 400%, staffed up to 4 designers and 2 UI developers, and partnered with 2 development firms within 2 years.
- Collaborated with clients to define project scope and set design and development goals.
- Managed a team of designers and developers where I led them in producing creative web-based solutions.
Acquired by US Technology Resources in 2004
Creative Services Manager • May 2000 - Jul 2005
Sr. Web Designer • Dec 1999 - May 2000
Web Designer • Oct 1998 - Dec 1999
Digital Artist • Jul 1997 - Oct 1998
- User-Centered Design
Lean UX Principles
Content Design Principles
Accessible & Universal Design Principles
Cross Functional Collaboration
EducationBachelor of Science, Interactive Media Design
The Art Institute, Costa Mesa, CA
Awards & AchievementsPatent: Seller’s Toolkit featuring LiveValueSM
Method and System for Selling Motor Vehicles (Patent #13/023,326) | Lead UX Designer
The tool enables the consumer to select their vehicle, enter seller’s notes, and set an asking price. It then generates a multitude of advertising and listing options, including listing on high-traffic websites, such as Craigslist, Facebook, and Twitter, and promoting the sale via e-mail or blog. My team won Kelley Blue Book’s Outstanding Team award for this project.
2021 Media Excellence Award: Industry Star Award
Veritone, Director, User Experience
2013 Webby Award Nominee: Best Employment Website
CareerBliss.com | Lead UX Designer
2013 Webby Award Honorable Mention
CyberCoders.com | Lead UX Designer & Infomation Architect
2012 CyberCoders Innovator of the Year
CyberCoders.com, CareerBliss.com, and internal software redesigns
2011 W3 Award Winner – General Website Categories – Automotive
Newly redesigned KBB.com | Lead UX Designer
Web Marketing Association’s Web Award: 2011 Outstanding Website – Best of Industry
Newly redesigned KBB.com | Lead UX Designer
Internet Advertising Award: Best Automobile Online Campaign
Cash 4 Clunkers Campaign on KBB.com (Ford Sponsorship) | Lead UX Designer
The campaign was created to raise awareness of both the government-sponsored program Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS, popularly known as Cash for Clunkers) and Ford’s fuel-efficient model lineup. Within a few clicks, we provided the consumer the value of their car, whether or not the car qualified for the CARS program, and displayed vehicles that helped the consumer get the most for their trade-in (Ford and similar vehicles).
A supportive community nurturing design leadership through inspiring and engaging events, conferences and retreats.
Design Leadership Forum by Invision
An invite-only community with a mission to advance the practice of design leadership by fostering a community where the world’s best can learn from one another.
ADPList.org (Awesome Design People)
I mentor product designers at all levels on design leadership and career growth in this amazing, supportive community.
A worldwide community with 100,000 members supporting each other in growing their careers in tech. A lively community of UX leaders, designers, researchers, and writers from all over the world.
UCI UX Design Mentor
I have the privilege to mentor new grads in the UX Bootcamp program.